Aug 28, 2011

Hey good lookin


L.I. can generate some very attractive wavescapes from time to time. And some rather wild ones when things go troppo as they did today.

I'm not sure where I got the first photo from, but it's L.I at it's best.



As for the second, Topical Storm Irene's victory at sea aftermath in the process of self-cleaning, courtesy of some raging off-shore winds. When the backside of Irene kicked in, it did so with vengeance in mind, scorned as being downgraded from a category 1 hurricane, and mocked by jaded residents who were spared the leakage, flooding and tree damage of their not-so-fortunate co-habitants.

Good weather for walking the dog. Well almost, in between the 60 mph gusts. Wary eye for falling tree limb and flying debris. Sea spray in the air; rainy mistclouds scudding in the tempest. Yes, there was definitely "smoke on the water" in Manhasset Bay today, and it wasn't coming from a cigarette boat, or a macanudo on the deck of a yacht, this time.

Tonight, 68 degrees and dropping. No need for the A/C ... finally.

3 comments:

  1. The top photo is gorgeous! Where was that taken?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK -- I forensicated.

    Went down a lot of blind alleys google searching jpeg.jpeg+wave, but
    since the date created on my machine was 8/2/11, I exhausted the hard drive search, eventually delving into my mail, from 8/1/1 to find ...
    TA DA!!!
    My Monday Morning Wave for 8/1/11 email from THE SURFERS PATH

    And this is all they supplied: New York confirmed:
    "Strato cumulus in the golden hour, as a long-travelled hurricane pulse ends its journey on a New York shore.
    PHOTO: Matt Clark"

    To me it looks like it could be Lido, but it could just as easily be out East.

    He photographs Long Beach a lot. I'll post another

    ReplyDelete