Feb 26, 2012

Stillwell w/ Gordo - A "Quick-er" Ride - Suspension Bottom-Out

Uh-Oh ... clack, clack, clack-clack.

What have we here?

"Hey Gordo can you see whether my suspension is bottoming out?"

"What's suspension?"

*Never mind* Maybe best to stop and take a looks. Rear shock is indeed 80-100 percent sagged through its travel, and whacking away at the linkage at every root, small hit or bump.

OK, I guess we will not be going round a third time today. Forty-five minutes time elapsed. Would have preferred another go-around but no need to compound whatever damage has already been done.

Good ride though. A lot quicker than last time; and a lot less lost. Lots of fun. There are parts of the blue trail that have great flow and just the right amount of challenges and exertion.

The MPH means little on this graph — except that in comparison with last week's "where-the-hell-are-we?" ... "we're lost" dismount-fest, it was plenty quicker.

What might have been an interesting comparison would be times of top speed. Last week we were trying to make time against available sunlight. For some of the longer sketchy downhills it was a case of "Do I let it go and let it skid and flow, or use the brakes. The dropping sun meeting rising horizon, favored the former.

Plenty of technical parts in this one, and some steep speed killing climbs, not to mention places where we lost flow — or stopped altogether.

If you care about overall times, I guess that's the trade off, technical and steep versus flatter, with more speed and flow.

BACK AT THE VAN
... I see that not only is the seattube pressing up against the bottomed-out shock, but the read-derailleur cable housing is getting crushed between the two.

The shock is not in the "stuck-in-down" position, it just has no air left in it.

Back at home putting the bies to be in the setting sun. I dig out the never-used-before shock pump...lost somewhere in the basement from when I last emptied the van out completely.

Pump it back to 205 psi. It's a Fox, one of the early ones from around 2000. 12 years old already. Test ride. It seems to be holding over kerbs. Guess we'll find out next week how far it can go.

No comments:

Post a Comment