Nov 10, 2013

Down to the Billabong, Favorite Wind Things

Lenny the Squid on the Seatrend ATV 268, Manhasset
Bay ... back in the days of screaming post-work
sunset northwesterlies. Photo (c) Phil Gray
 Here's a photo of a few favorite things, and theeps (them's be peeps): The Seatrend 268 ATV, a Hot Sails Maui 5.0 Sq.M. sail (Jeffrey Henderson design?) and Lenny the Squid, ripping up Manhasset bay, our local Billabong, after work with Drysuit II and myself, sometime back when boards had properly shaped noses.

  In the photo above, is the 268 ATV. Between the two of us (but not at the same time), Lenny and I rode that thing into near oblivion. For the period, it was light although the construction eventually did not stand up too well to our heavy footwork,   strong wind, and the beatings it took in the chop. 

 But rarely was there ever a production board that was such a delight to sail. It was the nearest to perfection we'd ever tried in 3-dimensional water — waves — and slippery fast once on a plane. It's one flaw: it had little interest in heading upwind. In ice hockey terms that's like a player who refuses to hustle back and help out on defense. But we loved it nevertheless, and kept it shredding until it became a little too soft in the middle for our needs. I still have one of its little brothers, the ATV 260 in the garage, waiting for my return from the long term injured reserve (LTIR) and its day in the next 4.0 blow. It's other flaw — the Tuttle box which used two metric screws, and required a substantial investment in new fins, since it was not compatible with all my other fins — powerbox or A-box.

Drysuit II, piloting a Rushwind/Mistral combo, leaving
a plume of spray in his wake; what was he thinking
exceeding the bay's speed limit in such a fashion?
Photo (c) Phil Gray 
 Seatrend, the windsurf board maker, however, was more or less swept away by a sea change in board construction, popularity, and design. Randy French, the legendary Seatrend shaper, saw the market for windsurf boards was shrinking while the market for lightweight epoxy designer-shape surfboards was exploding, and started up Surftech. The problem with Clark Foam blanks didn't help.

  It seems like we lost a few more board brands along the way. When was the last time you saw anyone riding a Tiga (that wasn't vintage or bought at a swap meet), or a new Mistral? The international giant once dominated the North American marketplace. They are still around, but it's been a while since I saw a new Mistral windsurfer for sale.

THREADBARE BRANDS?
 In the meantime, think about replenishing your Billabong gear and put a guard dog by your Quiksilver threads, in case these favorite surf and windsurf labels of the Robby Naish era become scarce. Billabong, in particular, is facing down the vicissitudes of the teenage fashion marketplace. Hard to believe ... they make good stuff and have a team of surfing all-stars* to back them.


 The aussie surfwear company, according to reports in The Guardian and Business Insider, recently took a loss of $773 million, around 3.3 times "the size of its market capitalization of $229 million." That's the fickleness of surf and fashion for ya.

Shorts: another quality Quiksilver garment
...headed for the drawer for the winter, un-
less I am able to pull off a warm-weather
vacation or biz trip.
 According to industry veteran Jon Wilson of Balin, 
“The guy that was buying it 20 years ago is still buying it and you know, he’s now the dad of the kid that doesn’t really want to look like his dad”

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/billabong-demise-surfwear-2013-11#ixzz2kHpWrYyn


 All I know is that I once had a Billabong backpack that was rather hot, but all its zippers seized up in the salt water, like just about every zippier on any other piece of windsurf equipment I ever owned. 

Ironically, I was just about to reluctantly bury a favorite pair of Quiksilver shorts away in the bottom of a drawer for the winter. Summer you were swell; fall we hardly knew ye! 

 I reflected on the great quality of the garment, thinking, well, I'll just have to find something else as comfortable and functional to wear now that the weather is verging on frigid. Maybe my Under Armour "Storm" sweatpants?

 But I recoiled in quasi shock when I read that this iconic surf brand of the last several decades, is also reportedly feeling the sting of young consumer indifference.
 One Quiksilver product, which I purchased in the Boarding Shop in Hyannis, Mass., has lasted me around 20 years...but only because I made sure the wife knew it was off-limits when it came to my better half's "old clothes toss-out patrol." 

A favorite Quiksilver shirt I have not, as
yet, found a worthy replacement fo
 It's a type of long-sleeved zip-collared shirt. Now full of holes and frayed at the edges, I keep the wash cycles to minimum to extend its life; but it's not difficult to see it's well beyond its expiration date. I just have not found anything similar to replace it in the lineup. I've tried, but have not as yet found anything similar in terms of feel, weight, design, fabric mix and functionality.

 But my sartorial problems are small in comparison with those of the surfwear industry and even the professional surfing tour. They may need to keep their eyes open for up-and-coming sponsors, fresh brands and new themes or they, too, might hit another lull, well, like the one it's supposed to have experienced at some time that I don't remember at all, but I am told, that surfing seemed to retreat back out of the public eye to a place where most everyday surfers feel more comfortable: obscurity and uncrowded lineups. 

 It's a shame though. No one likes to see their favorite brands fall on tough times. I feel like I only just figured out what that Oxbow logo was that we used to see everywhere on our heroes equipment, but not in any shops in the U.S.

 For fans, however, I'm wondering, if when you find an article of clothing, perfume, a surfboard, windsurfboard that you really like, whether it's sometimes best to buy more than one. As it is, the design will likely only last a season. If you're a guy, chances are there's only so much time you're going to devote to clothes shopping, anyway, before you dive back in the surf.

No comments:

Post a Comment