Jul 3, 2015

Dell Quay Harbor Road, Path, and Trail Ride

One of the best rides in the Fishbourne-Chichester area will take you down Saltern's Way to Dell Quay and beyond.

Mostly through farms and fields, much of the ride is exposed to the full force of the sun, the sea breeze, or whatever other elements are in force.

The little trail of paradise shown here, is on of the rare tree-covered sections. It leads into or out of — depending on whether you are headed north or south — Dell Quay/Chichester Harbour.

Chichester Harbor comes into view at Dell Quay.
The harbor is popular among walkers and offers two paths into the nearby wooded copse — one for walkers, and this one for cyclists.    


Time was pretty tight during the trip, and so at about a 9 mph pace with plenty of stops for photos, this is one of those bike excursions you want to allow a few hours for.

I found the area beyond the Dell Quay (DQ) Canal's foot bridge newly posted with "No bicycles," signs which makes the continuation down to Itchenor a little more complicated. Since I did not know the way to reconnect with the trail beyond DQ, I just continued on local roads until it was time to turn around and head home.

The trail arcs back into full sun from
behind the welcome shade of a tall hedgerow.  
I must have been one of the early riders that day, as I met many more cyclists on my way back than I did on the way down. But don't get the wrong idea ... it's not exactly crowded. More a deliberate choice. You need to know the way a little, and on that respect Barreg Bikes in Fishbourne has maps and bikes for rent, and a special touch with bike repair tools. https://www.facebook.com/barregcycles

Aubergines or courgettes (squash) like between the plants,
in the distance workers pack produce direct to the box
 behind a boom truck 
The fields around Apuldram are abundant with courgettes, barley, wheat, corn, other crops I could not identify ... and views aplenty.

If you like cows, as I do, then there were cows ... right by the harbor.
Holsteins endevor to stay cool during one of
England's warmest days of the year

Or vistas across the fields taking in the distant landmark Chichester Cathedral spire — the only cathedral spire in the country visible from the ocean (or the sea as it is called by the locals). Or maybe some nearby TeePees.

TeePees in Sussex? I'm sorry I have no answer to that question (see photo below). All I can provide is photographic evidence.

In the center distance the Cathedral Spire. (Click on photo to embiggen).









Crops now grow where a WWII airfield once stood.

A horse, a pony and a donkey (behind the horse) enjoy an upscale
field to themselves, near Itchenor. 




And in good time the sun must set on Chichester Harbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment