![]() |
| Looks like someone else has the same idea not long before me. A few inches of nice crunchy snow doesn't mean you can't run. |
I looked at the soccer field with its clean unmarked expanse of whiteness and left the asphalt path like a bad habit. The Merrells have decent rubbery rebound on hard surfaces, but I much prefer trail over concrete and snow looked like it might do the trick.
Cruunch, crunch, chumpf, chumpf ... it takes a different gait, and it's a little harder work, but 1-to-2-to-3 inches is the right depth. It doesn't go inside the shoes and it doesn't require actual snowshoes.
Wow, this was actually great. stiffer work, but not as much work as running on a medium-soft sandy beach, for example.
![]() |
| A little heavier going right here. Scrompf, scrompf, scrompf.... (Temp 25F) |
But this had been a great running year for me -- the first like it since I recommenced running where I really felt like I'd miss it come the cold weather. After being ridiculously spoiled during November, December and January, running was getting in my blood, and part of my midday routine.
I was just expanding my temperature comfort zone from 84F to 25F (29C to -4C)
Normally I would switch over to doing surfing and windsurfing in winter, or mountainbiking this time of year, but this year I had a great routing going running, and I also need to stay closer to home on the weekends, making running and road biking the preferred activities.
But ... when you have been getting in outdoor trail runs in, 2-3 times a week, the dreadmill in the gym is not very appealing unless it's raining or well below freezing.
![]() |
| Could not stay on the beaten path for long. But it does have a pleasing curve right here, doesn't it? |
I had felt a bit ropey recently, but Zicam Cold Remedy had punched out a nascent cold bug, and I felt great again. A beautiful sunny 25F degree day with a light breeze just did not seem too cold to get in a run.
The winter-grade Nike Therma Fit pants and Asics cold weather running hoodie and running jacket I picked up on super sale price at Christmas were getting antsy in my bag waiting for cold weather—their conditions, and here it was.
What was I going to do, I'm a died in the wool outdoors exerciser, I looked at the sun, the light wind readings, and the forecast for foul weather the next two days (single digits fahrenheit), and said, "to heck with the gym, we're going running in the snow, again ... while it lasts."
![]() |
| Snow running. Actually kinda fun if it's not too deep. "Get it while it lasts." (A week earlier and a lot warmer) |





No comments:
Post a Comment