Aug 22, 2010

H-Park gets some Storm action



Well there was Frank, Adrian, Marty, Leonardo, Rich S., Upwind Mike, Zev and his friend, Terminator Bruce, Ira, Jeannie, Ally, Joe Rocco, Eileen, a couple from Searingtown NY I've never sailed with before, and more people, whose names escape me, due to my apparent early-onset senility (amongst other non-optimally functioning body parts -- arm in spasm driving back, nice, aargh!!). I gotta get back to the acupuncturist, but that's another story.

There was also a lot of wind, and a lot of rain. It was much reminiscent of an October day last year, when the same perps showed up including Leonardo the German Shepherd, to enjoy the day's south easterly offerings.

Lot of folk absolutely cruising, killer speed jibing. Ramps and Heck-waves a plenty. East South East, when it goes off has a decent fetch, so there's some decent rolling and a tumbling to be had.

Rich amid all the mayhem was trying to nail his 360 jibes and getting mighty close -- let me know if you got 'er done, Rich.


Just a whole crew of H-Park folks showed, despite the intermittent deluges, to get completely blasted and extremely soggy, but satiated with the full on dosage of windmachine on steroids. As a bonus, there was a good hour and a half of rain-free sailing mixed in there. But we did practically swim out of the place.

Loved the new (used) RRD CD Wave. Took a little getting used to 225 cm of short and stubbyness, but once I'd figured out how to get it going, it was fun, fun, fun. Gotta admit I was very dubious about the concept, but it "not arf bad."

Why, well I was worried it was going to be too "freestyle," but it was an all-round pleasure. Won't win any speeding tickets with it, but, it's got the fun factor.

It hangs in there very well in good wind, and it seems to want bumpy, lumpy water more than I'd expect for a 99L board, but is still substantially more float in the tail — but not in a bad way — than the AHD 262 Power Wave to stand on, jibe on, so not a duplicate in that respect. Phew!

How it does in 6.0, I don't know yet, but I'm looking forward to it a lot more, now. Frank -- double thanks for sail swap, you're so kind!!

Yeah, we got wind alright.


Sure there were some holes/lulls, but switching between 4.7 and 5.3 worked for me. Or switching boards and sails mix and match style. Haven't sailed the 4.7 on the AHD 262 Power Wave with a 9.5" fin in a long time. When the wind machine
cranked up, was a long-missed treat, there were even, wait for it, some, well, steep breaking swells in a few places.

Frank was testing the outer limits of and Ezzy 5.5 and killing it, and heaven knows what Bruce was on -- I'm scared to ask. But these are both gentlemen who I've seen explode masts — Frank at Stehli and Bruce at W. Meadow, going far beyond the words "powered up."

Figured some folk had to be on the ocean, so looking forward to some tales of "victory at sea" (VAS) from those peeps.

For such a cruddy day -there was a procession of cigarette boats/powerboats. At least they were coming from windward, so with a bit of luck you could hear them well in advance.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I got up early thinking, maybe I could pull off a dawn patrol, today. Not happening. I hear the squid is back in action. Miss you guys.

    Meanwhile... I had to replace the 5.5 from Sunday so no new camera for me. I did notice that the price of last years RRD FSW 110 has dropped considerably. But even five dollars is alot when you only have four dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah? What happened to the 5.5 from Sunday? ... looked like you were just humming on that thing.

    I think El Squid got some late in the day. Glad he was not too worse for wear from the experience.

    ReplyDelete