![]() |
| Zev searches for his gear while Titus gets ready to put the Logosz through its paces. |
Remarkable though: elsewhere on the Island it seemed relatively calm, just a little breezy, but by the time you got close to Heckscher State Park, the disco-dancing trees looked like they were getting ready for the rave that was about to begin.
Sure giveaway — the boat basin was frothing like a pool jagging with mad 50 lb piranha-fish, and it was only starting. Wow, glad I brought the small stuff.
It's a rule I try to keep for myself. Any time there's a 20-25 in the forecast, bring something that'll work in 40 just in case...but bring something that works in 15 ... just in case.
GOOD TIMES
Somehow, word got around quickly and the place filled up. Arty (Adrian) and Marty and Leonardo were there already, of course. Marty was talking catamaran (huh? Marty it's cranking out there) but Adrian was rigging every sail in the quiver before the day was done, and sailing every board the old Plymouth Voyager could fit, in, and on.
![]() |
| Upwind Mike heads in to re-rig, Titus heads to the water to start his sailing day |
Pete Roesch, George Marr, and a few others were just getting in a warm up before heading to the ocean. I used to call it "insurance" in case the ocean fails to happen. They had no such problem, the Ocean went off, too.
Great to see Titus again and Zev and George, the U.S. Army's very own windsurfing Al. Dr. Phil DDM arrived at the peak; perfect timing as ever. And a huge surprise, Rich from Westchester — excellente — I hadn't seen Rich for a flipping decade, when was the last time — "the Sunken Meadow experiment?"
UPWIND MIKE
Thoughts go to Upwind Mike who's having serious sinus surgery. You'd have never known he hadn't sailed in a year. and to be honest, when I first saw him on the water I wasn't sure if it was him.
From 'out to sea,' I looked back to the beach and saw Mike was flying, from far left of the beach across the LZ and out to the east. Full speed ahead like he hadn't stopped all winter, spring and summer.
Back on shore, Jill and Marianne were further down the beach having a chat and Thandi was livening up the party. Should have stayed .. I heard the sardines were excellent again!
By the time I was done, Adrian was rigging a 4.2, sand was flying waist high in the parking lot, and if anything you owned wasn't breaded with sand like a chicken cutlet, you know tricks the rest of us don't — do share!



No comments:
Post a Comment