Sep 29, 2012

Another day of Excellent Surf

It is September after all, and that's what the month is known for here on the South Shore of L.I.

Usually it's the storm swell that gets the attention. This month however, has delivered some of the mellowest user-friendly cleanest lefts and rights I've ever seen. Not too cold, not too windy just perfect. Gotta get an new underwater camera methinks.  I used to use them a lot in the film era. So the only evidence I have of today's visit to Long Beach being at all watery is Gordo's hair.

We went to Swingbelly's BBQ restaurant after the session for dinner. I'm not going to say it's inexpensive. For BBQ it's a little pricey, but the best around for miles.

Since the waves were so even-tempered I decided to take Gordo on his first paddle to the "outside" ... outside the lineup that is. We had the place to ourselves by this point in the afternoon approaching evening. Presumably everyone else had had their fill: the swell had been pumping all day. Knee to waist to shoulder to head high in places and everything in between. Peeling lefts and a few rights thrown in for variety.

NECK PROGRESS
If last week was the first "laydown" paddle out since June (Intl surfing day) — and boy was I rusty in June — this was then the third "laydown" paddle out this year,except for one non-wave day at Bayville. Otherwise, it's been all biking and flatwater SUP.

The neck/back seized up with a vengeance last Wednesday as the effects of Sunday's surf kicked in.  Hope it's not as bad this week. It's frustrating how one can feel real good out there, but stiffen up with muscle spasms a few days later. But once we got going today the pain melted away. The adrenaline kicks in and the stiff joints miraculously unstiffen.

Swingbelly's BBQ — not to be missed in L.B.
Today marked the first time I've successfully managed a successful pop-up takeoff in more than a year or maybe two. That's how long I had gone without a long duration paddle. And a solid effort from outside the lineup. Should have had a few more, but it's far more rewarding to teach Gordo and miss a few waves. He seems to be really glomming on to the watersports this year. Even did a little body surfing.  

SNAPPERS?
A few schools of fish thronged in our viscinity today. The water looked alive for a while there. I told Gordo to paddle in, just in case the blues were running. But the most I saw was a school of small snappers or tiny baitfish do a synchronized leap out of the water, rentry, followed by another leap. I hoped no hungry blues would be attracted to our fingers. and toes. But the little fish sped off, and so did whatever was chasing them.



No comments:

Post a Comment