Dec 2, 2012

GPS BS — the evidence

Deep in Gatsby Country
So, here's the evidence I was at Sands Point's tip this afternoon, cruising on the bike.

But according to the GPS I was nearly a quarter of a mile offshore in the water, amongst other unrideable places.

Anyway, if they come for you, saying the rental car GPS said you were speeding in a work zone, here's proof even a reputable GPS manufacturer's device can just flat out make things up.

There are quite a few posts earlier in this blog, where the unit said I achieved speeds of hundreds, if not thousands of miles per hour.

To me, it always felt slow. I have no recollection of breaking the sound barrier on any of my rides this year (but I'll reserve the right to say that that doesn't mean I didn't).


The darn GPS (see map above) seemed to think I mysteriously wandered off course, over fences, walls, forested sections, boggy creeks, and who knows what other impenetrable terrain, somewhere back at Sand Point Preserve. Nice job Garmin, whassup with that? Nope, it did not happen; my skinny 23 mm tires are only good for road, and a wee bit of gravel. The track looks convincing, but there is, however, no diagonal road going into and through Long Island Sound.

The two girls walking a puppy in the bottom photo can be my alibi. They saw a guy with the modern equivalent of WWI fighter goggles (thanks Gordo, last time I let you pick out my prescription riding glasses, but they do keep the wind out like no other!) and a camo biking vest* taking pics at the end of Middleneck Road.

You gotta make some trade offs. That aerodynamic cold-weather roadie gear is not in the budget, and the MTB clothes get the job done. They might look out of place on the road, but they work well when it's 43 F.
Nice job resurfacing the old potholed corner of gritted teeth
Proof we have castles, and a turret or two, in the US. In fact there's a really
big one up the road at the preserve. This is just a little folly in comparison.



1 comment: