May 20, 2013

From SUP to SUS (Standup Paddle...to...Standup Surf)

Heck of a mini workout today on the Fanatic AllWave 9'6" -- on a very very small onshore day at "the Bowl." Peconic Puffin called them snack size waves yesterday. Plenty bite-size, with a few small sets.

I was huffing and puffing at the end, but 6 weeks off after surgery will probably do that to you.

Is SUS more challenging than SUP? — check!
(I thought I'd learned plenty on flat and bay wind chop in the last year, and even though I surf, this new combination of SUP and waves is a whole new game of water polo.)

Can you prone paddle a 32 inch wide SUP like a regular surfboard — check! (That's good news, and one way to familiarize oneself with the new board.)

How about knee paddling? — check!  (definitely an easier and more intuitive way to get over the white water )

Are knee pads on your wetsuit your friend? — check! ( And how did I manage to lose skin off my knee even with 3mm of neoprene? That's a mystery, but I checked this morning and it's like bike road rash. 

The knees did double duty: clambering aboard,  knee paddling, What am I gonna do in boardshort season? Wear skateboard pads;)) 

Before I go into any more gory details, I would like to give a shout out to the Peconic Puffin for his handy-dandy Long Island Windsurfing Map, which helped me navigate far less blindly to a few sites I wanted to check: Ponquogue, The Bowl, and Shinnecock Rd. on Mecox Bay.

FANATIC ALLWAVE 9'6"
My weight 195 lbs.
Board 9'6" 174 lts. x 32"
Width: did not feel too wide, surprisingly
Feel: to me more like a shortboard fish than a longboard

More details t/c



No comments:

Post a Comment