Sep 15, 2013

Surf, SUP or WindSUP?, Gilgo's Still got waves

TBH, I did not expect waves after leaving the house so late this morning. The tide is everything, and it was looking like I was going to arrive at the beach too close to high tide.
Plan A and Plan B. Turned out to be a Two-sport afternoon.

But this was one of those Saturdays after a long, fried week where you've just got to get out an do something physical to clear out the pipes.

So, I needed a plan A, a plan B and at least plan C — to ensure I did something sufficiently strenuous and worth the effort. It was one of those days that could go any which way, just a little too windy, flat water, or perfect surf, that you needed to be prepared.
It was sunny enough when I got there.
And in that spirit, I decided if there was too much wind for surfing or SUPing, I would rig a sail and SUP sail the Fanatic for the first time; if there were waves I would prone surf the 9'0" Ben Aipa, and if were no waves I would just get a good long flat water ocean SUP paddle anyway — come wind or high water.

Arriving, it didn't take long to get back into the fun, friendly ambience of Gilgo, getting into a couple of convos with complete strangers, and in both my languages.

One of the folks I spoke with was a familiar looking surfer who was finishing his session. He advised me there were still waves and the 9'0" would still be good. I took him at his word and was not disappointed.

That said, I have a lot of work to do paddling into waves in offshore wind; the bigger the wave--the more the wind up the face the harder you have to paddle. It was touch and go whether to SUP sail, but who needs uphauling in fluky wind in the surf with others around? Nobody.

If you can paddle; paddle, whether lying down or standing up.
One of those days you just surf and SUP until sunset. Crowded,
but too excellent to stop.

About 3:30 high tide killed the last waves, and I figured it would be a good time to SUP. There was a light swell running, witht he occasional set that broke to shorebreak. If you caught it right you got a ride, and kicked out in time before you got drilled.
I forgot how tricky sup can be. I find lying down surfing easier, balance is a full time issue on the SUP. When you catch a wave surfing, you're usually in trim with your feet fore/aft. Not so on a SUP. Get going on a swell and the thing just shoots off and you shoot off the back. It looks like amateur hour. But it's a great feeling all the same. I kept a contstant paddle going, round in circles and figure eights, to catch the swells.

Great paddle 2 1/2 hrs minimum — we'll see how much Advil I need tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment