![]() |
| Mid-ground: arc of a jiber. |
Sunday 10/19
Sessions have been few and far between the last several years — to the point I wonder whether I might've almost forgotten how to rig stuff properly.
![]() |
| Kevdog is competitive but wondering who he's going to garrote? A bit much. |
Things you take for granted, that you've done a thousand times — although not much in the last few years — have to be relearned the hard way.
Heading out all the way across the bay, just like I would on a normal day here, just didn't feel right. Couldn't put my finger on it.
![]() |
| Rigging sh-area |
The harness webbing was not adjusting like it normally should.
This was my "backup" harness. The one I keep in the van as a loaner in case someone forgets theirs. I'd swapped out the spreader bar a while ago for a different one and something wasn't right. I'd struggled with it in the parking lot, and out on the water it was coming loose. Try hooking into a floppy bar.
Next run, the PFD was blocking me from hooking in. Back to the van, ditch the PFD. Next run the bar is loose again. Try again ... sail back out ... zzzwupp, the webbing slipped outward. I jibed and headed back. Good thing ... there was only a half inch of webbing left holding the whole kaboodle together. Glad I listened to the voice inside the head, before the thing blew out on me on the other side of the bay.
With the wind powered-up 5.5 edging into 5.0 territory, these were no conditions to sail back out of the harness. Robby Naish could do it of course, but with a bit of nerve damage in the neck/left arm, not happening for me.
Back to the lot. Discuss webbing with Kevdog. Problem solved.
Yep, that was how it was supposed to be. Thanks Kev.
![]() |
| About to get busy. There were 12 or so sails and three or four kites out on the water at one point. Almost a regatta. |
Next, the phantom cleating of the outhaul. Must have done it while I was flattening out the sail in the water. Pulled it tight alright, but from the wrong end of the rope. Those Rx eyewear were great for being able to see the water's surface while windsurfing, but not so good up-close for making adjustments.
Sail draft was shifting -- so back to the shore to adjust some more.
Let's just say I was fighting my gear for a while there. Can't take too much care rigging. There's just no rushing it.
But otherwise a perfect day out there; the water (65) was warmer than the air (51) making for a fall day northwesterly with no need for gloves. Hands in the water::warmed hands, and no fade in the wind at all.
Upwind Mike was one of the first to re-rig down to a 5.0 and a smaller board. Low tide and getting lower. Which meant wind opposing tidal flow, which was all good. The guys were having a ball. Hooting and hollering was heard. It might have emanated from anyone of Jeff, Domer, Bruce, Mike, Upwind Mike, Al, Ira, or Kevdog, but most likely the latter.





No comments:
Post a Comment