Jun 19, 2016

New bar tape, reposition hoods, realign bars

AFTER: About an hour later ... now I can get all that snow
white stuff real dirty. Planning ahead,
next bar tape job will be light blue.
After yesterday's minor slow-motion spill (caught tire in a rut while walking and talking with a running friend I met on my ride) it was time to get the 4mm wrench out and realign the twisted handlebars.

The hood had also slipped down a little on the right side, and I was not feeling secure on rough, lumpy high-speed downhills. Hitting a pothole or two I needed a little more hood to hang on to.

With my amateur bartape job now looking like the dog's dinner after 7 years, I figured it was time to put the hoods where I (think I) want them and fix the various issues.

BEFORE: Getting unraveled and rather funky ...
Yes that first bar tape job was done in the evening after a long bike build session and a celebratory scotch in 2007ish. Never try to wrap bar tape for the first time after drinking scotch.

Had this Cinelli tape lying around for years. I have re-installed the bar-end mirror even though it causes a bulge on the left bar-end.

I miss the Aztec anti-vibe, but with moving the shifters comes moving the cables and they were connected to tape which had anti-vibe material well stuck on. It all had to go.

P.S. I have a high stem since I have a couple of 85% recovered herniated neck discs that I'm trying not to aggravate. Bars are about 3/4 of an inch above saddle height (as this is not a compact geometry frame.)

DURING: Tape and Aztec anti-vibe ripped off, mostly.
Wrench in the shifter for hood/shifter adjustment fun. 
If I were to do this differently, I would put some more material near the top of the hoods where I ride most.

Differently may happen. With the hoods a little "up" over level, the gear downshift "thumb-ears" are now an uncomfortable reach with the thumbs. Hoods may have to come back down a tad.

I used the Park Tool site instructions mostly, although I watched a few other videos that helped improve my *cough* technique.

The tape is of the "tension" variety, no adhesive, so it's actually easier to re-wrap if you don't like what you did the first time.

I did a "redo" on the first side when I came up short, length-wise — not enough tape left by the time I got to the tops.

Re-wrapping one time was enough "wrestling" for one hot day.




No comments:

Post a Comment