May 3, 2015

The Stuff by the Side of the Road

It's amazing the stuff you find by the side of the road. Sometimes it's your own, or sort of.
Another roadside find: Cycling re-swag:
Son's long-lost snowboard glove.
Tag it and bag it!

Couple of weeks ago, I was riding up this hill and I saw among the leaves what looked like a gauntlet style glove. A glimmer of a thought flitted through my mind, "Hmm that looks like the pair I bought son X, and I think son Y borrowed them and lost one."  But I was grinding up the beast of a hill and I though the chances of that kind of coincidence were pretty rare.

Fast forward a week or two and a perfectly dry several days, I decided to re-ride the hill, and see if the glove was still there.

I pulled up, sacrificing the good time I was making on the hill — worth it for a $50 glove — and scanned a small traffic island near the summit.

First spotted the glove on the traffic island
while climbing uphill two weeks ago. It was one of
those climbs where one doesn't voluntarily stop. 
I was in luck, no landscaping had been done, and the glove was still ensconced in a pile of leaves and general roadside detritus. Nice and dry too, after several days of hot and breezy weather, and in pretty good condition, considering the harsh winter.
All I could tell was the UV rays had grayed the black fabric on the thumb.

Once in the bag, it was time to ride on.

Forgot to restart the GPS — just use the lap button dimwit — and missed a good shot at a PR on Ridge. Never mind. This trip was meant to take a different route.

Stonytown Road called. There are few delights more subtly pleasing than a gentle 2-3 percent downgrade.

The moderate downslope means guaranteed extra speed for a Clyde.

Will have to take a photo sometime, but one does not want to stop on Stonytown for much of anything.

Whoop-de-doop: Hillcrest down to Beacon Hill Rd and back up to Summit.
Light timing is mandatory, or be dust in the wind.
Be prepared for a rough road surface and use MTB skills to ride the bumps.



No comments:

Post a Comment