May 30, 2016

Home Brew Time



Make you own home brew?

I'm not sure I'd pretend to get close to what these IPAs taste like, especially the Stone Pataskalas Red X IPA.

But if it was home brew bike lube, I might mix the chainsaw bar and sprocket oil mixed with mineral spirits.

I'm a big ProLink Gold fan, but a tiny bottle of it costs like it's infused with liquid-gold. And with a family of 7 bikes to lube, I now make my own lube out of 6 parts odorless mineral spirits (OMS), 1 part Castrol Syntec, 1 part bar and sprocket oil.

Make sure to keep the last two squeeze bottles from the last lube you purchased (One in the background is a Park Lube bottle. Recycled Prolink Gold bottles are also good.).

Oh boy. That is one dirty gritty derailleur.
Time to get to work with the cog brush and
de-schmutzer.
With the help of a pair of pliers to remove the spouts or plugs, they can almost all be re-purposed to contain your new home brewed lube.

OMS also comes in handy for cleaning off the grime from derailleurs.

Still plenty of work to do here though. Just stage one in the cleaning.







That's a bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment